One of the most incredible things about cannabidiol is the wide range of benefits that the compound produces. These benefits cover so many common health issues that almost anyone could benefit from using a CBD product. Capsules form is one of the most popular forms of ingesting the cannabinoid for good reason - anyone can easily add a CBD supplement to their daily routine.
In this spotlight, we take an in-depth look at CBD capsules. This will help you understand the benefits of this product type, why you might choose to use it, and the benefits associated.
Let's explore this easy, convenient and discreet form of taking CBD!
What are CBD Capsules & What is in them?
CBD capsules are simply a pill-form of CBD extract that can be simply swallowed like any other supplement. These capsules come in either soft gel form or in a two-piece capsule form. These pills are taken just like any other supplement - swallowed by mouth. There are a couple main types of capsules - a liquid-containing oil-based capsule and a powder-containing capsule.
The content of these capsules can vary from company to company and contain the following ingredients:
- CBD Extract or CBD Isolate
- The contents of the CBD concentrate in the capsule is the key to the overall quality of the pill. High-quality capsules should include an extract that comes from a high-quality hemp source. A full or broad spectrum base will give you the maximum potential health benefit because they provide the entourage effect. Isolate-based capsules will be less effective as they only contain the single CBD cannabinoid.
- Oil Carrier (Hemp, Coconut, or MCT oil)
- One type of capsule will use an oil carrier that works to increase the body's ability to absorb the cannabinoids contained in the capsules. CBD and other cannabinoids are fat soluble - not water soluble. This means they break down and bind to fats like the ones found in coconut, hemp, or MCT oil. Once stored in fat, CBD and other cannabinoids are more quickly and effectively absorbed by the body.
- Powder Filler
- Another type of capsule often uses an isolate-base and filler to create a dry capsule that contains a powder. These capsules often come in plant cellulose or bovine gelatin capsules.
- Optional Additional Ingredients
- You may find other ingredients in some capsules including other herbs or supplement additives. These are all 'optional' in the sense that they simply provide additional benefits, but do not influence the benefits of the CBD content.
Benefits of Using CBD Capsules
The following are some of the most common benefits of choosing to use this product type:
- Accurate Dosing
- Ease of Use
- Easy to Transport and Travel With
- No 'Marijuana' Taste
- Long Lasting Effects
How Effective are CBD Capsules?
When taking CBD orally, the substance passes through the liver which reduces the concentration. Only a certain percentage then makes it through to the bloodstream to be used by the body. This concept is often referred to as bioavailability or the measure of how much and how quickly a substance is absorbed into the body to be used.
Taking capsules orally is actually one of the least bioavailable methods of taking CBD - meaning that a small amount of the compound actually makes it into the bloodstream when compared to other methods of ingestion. With that, the dosage recommendations will be higher for capsules when compared to a more effective means of taking CBD such as via a sublingual tincture.
Despite this downside, there is a range of benefits that make this method of ingesting CBD highly viable. Capsules are often the easiest method of taking CBD and the effects are long-lasting and the benefits associated with capsule form are high. A user can also simply increase the dosage and receive the same benefits as a more bioavailable method - the only difference really then becomes a slightly higher cost per dose.
If capsules are your preferred product type, there are new developments in water-soluble CBD that have resulted in capsules with higher bioavailability than oil-based products.
How to Use CBD Capsules
Taking CBD capsules orally is an easy task. Simply add these pills to your existing supplement routine and enjoy the benefits! Compared to other methods of ingesting cannabidiol, this is the slowest onset with the second longest duration. Once you understand the timing, you can easily adjust your intake accordingly:
Orally swallowing CBD capsules have an onset of 30-90 minutes and an effective duration of up to 7 hours. You can compare this to other methods of ingestion on our product usage article.
The following tips will help you get the most out of your capsules:
- Take consistent dosages at a consistent time of day. Keeping things on a schedule will allow the CBD to build in your system and increase the effectiveness.
- Many users take one pill in the morning and one at night. If your day-time dose makes you drowsy, you can back off the dosage size in the morning and increase it at night.
To determine the correct dosage, see our article which will help you find and adjust your CBD dose.
Lowest Prices for Capsules
See the price per gram of CBD content across each brand. Pricing for each brand appears only if that company provides lab results for their products to verify spectrum.
Table scrolls left and right.
|Brand||Product Type||Spectrum||$ / Gram of CBD||Customer Reviews|
|Lazarus Naturals||Capsules||Full Spectrum||$50.00||0(0)|
|Green Mountain CBD||Capsules||Full Spectrum||$50.00||0(0)|
|CW Hemp||Capsules||Full Spectrum||$66.66||0(0)|
|The CBDistillery||Capsules||Full Spectrum||$66.67||4.5(2)|
|Floyd's of Leadville||Capsules||Full Spectrum||$70.00||0(0)|